- Underweight = BMI less than 18.5
- Gain about 28 to 40 pounds during pregnancy
- Healthy weight = BMI 18.5 to 24.9
- Gain about 25 to 35 pounds during pregnancy
- Overweight = BMI 25 to 29.9
- Gain about 15 to 25 pounds during pregnancy
- Obese = BMI more than 30
- Gain about 20 pounds during pregnancy
2. During the first trimester my babies heartbeat was really fast. This means I’m having a girl.
There was ONE study done in 1993 at the University of Kentucky that seemed to prove this theory right, finding that the fetal heartbeat could be used accurately to predict the sex of 91% of boys and 74% of girls. But subsequent studies all disagree.
3. But they told me I can’t eat any fish!
Mercury consumed during pregnancy has been linked to developmental delays and brain damage. A sample of these types of fish includes: shark, swordfish, king mackerel, and tilefish.
Eating 2-3 servings of fish per week is safe. Choose a variety of fish lower in mercury, such as salmon, tilapia, shrimp, tuna (canned-light), cod, and catfish.
4. Drinking caffeine during pregnancy is a no-no!!!!
Actually ACOG recommends no more than 200mg of caffeine in a 24hr period. One 8oz cup of coffee can run anywhere from 80-100mg. So check with your local Batista or right on the packaging before consuming.
5. The fumes in the nail salon are just too much for my baby!
Please ladies do not forgo your weekly pampering sessions because you are pregnant. Your 30 minutes to an hr session will NOT harm your growing fetus. So go ahead get your pampering on!
6. So no more deli sandwiches and cheese for me!! Bye bye Jimmy Johns and Subway!
The reason ACOG recommends that women not eat cold deli meat or pasteurized cheese is because of the risk of Listeria. Listeria or listeriosis while pregnant can cause flu-like symptoms, headaches, muscle aches, fever, nausea, and vomiting.
As long as your deli meat is cooked THOROUGHLY. And as long as you stay away from soft, unpasteurized products like Brie, feta and goat cheese. Then eat away my dear friend!
7. Are you kidding me!! I cant have sex while I’m pregnant.
OH YES YOU CAN! Unless your doctor SPECIFICALLY tells you that you have to undergo pelvic rest for conditions such as placenta previa or cervical incompetence. Please by all means have some fun, for some women sex is more enjoyable while pregnant. If you have a little bleeding or mild contractions afterwards DONT be scared. In general this is harmless. Of course if it is sustained, please do not hesitate to talk to your healthcare provider.
8. I’m not allowed to fly right doc??
It is absolutely safe to fly during pregnancy. The unfortunate truth is that some airlines won’t allow you to fly in your third trimester. And some physicians will advise against it for high risk pregnancies. Ultimately it’s your choice.
9. You shouldn’t take hot baths while pregnant. You should avoid saunas, Jacuzzis or anything that raises your body temperature over 102 degrees.
10. I have to sleep on my left side at all times.
Honey, if you can get sleep and get comfortable sleep however you can. Do not restrict yourself to horrible uncomfortable sleep for the baby. Remember healthy mom, healthy baby. And that includes sleep too.